Honduras 2006

This is my online journal of the journey I took on the 2006 TORCH missions trip to Honduras.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta, Ga, TN, United States

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Jesus Loves Me vs. Johnny Apple Seed

Usually on Torch trips we do things at night. Like go to Victor Sports and play soccer or go to the Jesus statue etc. This trip was different. We did not do anything at night until Saturday night...our last night.
We all got showers and put on semi-nice cloths, loaded the buses and headed to the oldest Catholic church in the Western Hemisphere...Santa Lucia. To get there by bus is tricky b/c the streets are narrow and cobblestone (my favorite).
We got close and then walked the rest of the way, but actually as we were walking the buses pasted us and got to the church first. Anyway...once in the church we all found seats and then we sang. It is my favorite memory of this trip. Since I do not come from a COC background I cherish the times when I get to worship in Accapella. Don't get me wrong, I love the worship bands and the traditional hymns with piano and organ in all, but I have come to appreciate all the styles of worship. I do not have a preference..It is all worship..I can worship to the sound of drums guitars, pianos or crickets...Don't matter to me. ANYWAY...
During worship, as I found myself staring at a painting of the crucifixion of Christ, (it was hanging right in front of me) and thinking about the reality of being in another country, I am reminded how the life of Jesus is known around the world and how his story reaches the darkest corners. I am not some country bumpkin who only knows the boundaries of Dyer county...I have traveled some, and have had the blessing of having friends who are of other nationalities..So I know there is life and traditions aside from our own...YET it still amazes me how far Jesus has reached. "Jesus Loves Me" outreaches "Johnny Apple Seed."
So sitting there in the Santa Lucia Church with Jesus before me, Friends to the left and right of me, and the whole country of Honduras behind me I realize that I was right where I needed to be...where God had placed me for that moment in time......a place where I could feel God's presence..a place were everyone was one....and a place that I did not want to leave.
That is the memory that I will keep with me this year as I await my return to Honduras next year.

On Sunday we (PT group) headed back to the states. Man is it hard to say goodbye....to friends and to the atmosphere so I will act like that day did not happen..it does not deserve recognition.
I am going to post as many pics as I can from people who have sent me theirs of the trip.

See ya next year.



1 Comments:

Blogger dinah lou said...

I enjoyed reading your blog from this year's trip. It was quite humorous. I can't wait until next year!

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home